Sunday, June 6, 2010

What about your friends?

I've always been opposed to the concept of "The Hills;" I'm seriously over "pretty white people with problems" when it comes to tv shows. However, I ended up catching a marathon a few weeks ago and watched a few episodes. I have no clue what season it was, but apparently Lauren and Audrina's friendship hit a rough patch. I was glued to the screen wondering if they would resolve things (they did).

Then there's been the 3rd season of "The Real Housewives of New York City" where two main characters, Bethenny and Jill have had a falling out that has lasted all season and apparently beyond). Both story lines left me feeling uneasy.

They reminded me of the friendship I had with a girl named Antoinette and how at the end of the day I still don't know what happened. When we were friends we really did a lot for each other. I picked her up when she was having a bad day, made her lunch and spent the the whole day with her when I should've been studying for a final. She kept me company when someone close to me got sick. Both these shows made me think about the friendships I have that count, or have counted in my life. Sometimes I do miss the way Antoinette had been before there was a noticeable change in who she wanted be. Don't get me wrong I'm all for change but it's tough when you see someone who has so much potential to be amazing and they just throw it away, for what? It's sad watching a good friendship turn sour.


I'm a lucky girl;in the past couple of years I haven't had any major falling out with any of my friends. With some there have been tense moments but we always work through them. I think that is an important part of having mature friendships. My best friends and I have been able to discuss our issues when we've had them. Our friendships are constantly changing and growing. With friends like the ones I have, I'm not worried about "Real Houswives"-style falling outs. We really know about each other, we care and we encourage each other to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment